Word-of-mouth and patient referrals could be the strongest marketing tool for your practice. We’ve researched common patient-to-patient referral techniques and categorized them into four simple, free steps for you and your practice.
1. Have meaningful conversations
Instead of making small talk about sports or TV shows, get your patients thinking about why they chose your practice. This gives them the opportunity to articulate their decision out loud, making it easier for them to recommend you to their friends later. Here are some sample questions:
- “Why did you decide to see a chiropractor?”
- “Why did you choose our practice?”
- “How do you feel about the methods we use?”
One of our clients demonstrates this technique as it relates to our PulStar system. Click here to watch his video demonstration.
2. Always be explaining
Patients will be more likely to refer someone if they feel comfortable with your practice and can explain your procedures. Be sure to keep up a constant flow of explanations throughout every appointment, and be prepared to answer questions. Effective explanations should be: simple, demonstrative and focus on the bigger wellness picture.
For example, an effective explanation could sound like this: “I applied pressure to [area] because it helps relieve your pain from [symptom]. Please try [movement] to feel how this has improved your condition.”
PulStar clients can utilize the pre- and post-reports generated by the PulStar system to illustrate how a patient has improved. Reports can be printed and sent home with the patient to serve as a reminder of upcoming treatments.
3. Get your staff on board
A patient’s time spent with you may only represent a fraction of their time spent in your practice overall. Here are some tips to keep your staff referral-focused:
- Work with your staff to offer referral incentives. Upon check-in, ask each new patient: “Did someone refer you to our practice?” If yes, offer the referring patient a discount or other incentive at his or her next visit.
- Train staff to ask patients to make referrals while checking out. Ex. “Have a nice day. And remember, if you enjoyed your service today, tell your friends!”
- Provide your staff with referral tools. Ex. Hang a sign behind the desk encouraging patients to refer their friends, or provide staff members with referral cards that can be stapled to any post-care instructions.
4. Go outbound
Sometimes the best way to earn referrals is to expand your marketing beyond the doors of your practice. Here are some ideas:
- Participate in local medical fairs, conventions and seminars. This can be especially effective if you can offer demonstrations or presentations at your booth or station.
- Create a business card distribution wish list. Divide and conquer amongst your staff to deliver a few cards with a Starbucks gift card to get your name out in your local community.
- Don’t miss an opportunity to reach out to individual patients. Follow-up calls and birthday cards may be tedious, but fostering strong relationships with your current patients may result in new ones.
PulStar Musculoskeletal Innovations Generate Word of Mouth
PulStar allows DCs to treat more patients in a day, and is a powerful referral-creating instrument. PulStar instruments use computer precision multiple impulse therapy to enable scientific, safe, gentle patient care that when combined with your expertise gets and keeps patients out of pain.
Patients can see the percent of improvement they received in each treatment.
Want to try the PulStar? Click here to find a PulStar chiropractor near you!